Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dad's gone. Life's changing real fast.

Dad died last night. Couple guys from the community found him lying near his favorite tree in the park downtown. Mom and I knew it was time. He came into my room around 8 to say goodbye before heading to the tree. He looked tired. Really old. Fur on the tip of his tail visibly falling off. I asked him if I could save it. He agreed. I put it away in my dresser.

Mom didn't want to walk him to the park. She's hardly said a thing since he left last night. They spent a long time alone in their bedroom before he came to say goodbye to me.

I'm glad a bunch of friends, and neighbors showed up to see him off. Dad wouldn't have wanted anyone there in the park when he went. A little parade, though. He definitely liked that.

I should have walked down there myself. God damn my sensitivity to the outdoors. I guess I can't confidently say I would have made it back home, anyway.


35 animal years in this town, and I still haven't seen the tree my father loved so much in that park.
If not dad's passing, maybe this blog will help me to re-evaluate my time here a bit.


Pensive,
Kevin

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm really sorry for your loss. Make sure you're there for you're mom though - she seems too fragile to be going this alone. Best of luck in helping her get back on her feet, and you as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jamie. I'm doing the best I can. Mom is sitting in the next room. I read your comment out loud to her, and she wants me to thank you for thinking of her and my dad.

      Delete
  2. Im sorry too, my dad passed away when I was seven and a quarter. He was tired when he passed as well, he got sick and they said he had to get more sick before he got better. But he didn't get better. My mom was really sad for a while even though she pretended not to be. Ever since Max came around though she has been better at pretending, but for your own sake I would advise against your mom getting a stupid annoying boyfriend to help her feel better.

    ReplyDelete