Thursday, February 2, 2012

Made it to the milk store

I've been pretty busy lately. Mom is still out of commission, lying around on the couch most of the day waiting for her back to re-set. I don't mind taking care of her.. I'm just no good at it.

Monday, for instance. The day mom became temporarily disabled by that work-out machine downstairs. She was yelling and screaming up the stairs when I got to her. She looked like a stair-eater, plowing her mouth into each floor board like a venomous snake thing.

I was able to pry her off the stairs from the basement and shimmy her body onto the couch. She stopped screaming then and just cried a little more. Probably thinking about dad a bit. I turned on the TV for her and the Ellen show was on. Caught her attention enough to distract from the morning's events.

After mom got settled, I went to the fridge to make her a bowl of cereal. To my terror, there wasn't any milk.

I had to go outside. To the store.

Spent the next 2 hours pacing my room and sitting on my bed thinking about how best to do it. I've noticed there isn't really any "best" way of going to the store. If there had been one, I would of thought of it I bet.

Even though I missed two phone calls that came in that morning for help; one when I was pacing, the second while I was actually out- it's OK. Because I left the house. Got bundled in 2 sweatshirts, a hat, some rain pants, and winter boots, took some money from the family emergency fund, and printed out Mapquest directions to the store.

I also carried 3 barf bags in my pockets just in case I was on the move or in the store and felt the urge to hurl.

That only happened once when I first left the house. I didn't realize it was between classes or something. Every student in the university must have decided to be outside on the footpath near our house right then. One of them even noticed me and said to her friend that I looked "cute". Sent me over the edge. I made it as far as the bench before I had to whip out a bag.

Once I was done with that, I threw the bag in an empty box near the bench. Took out directions. Kept going.


Damn. Mom needs help again. She wants some toast. I'll finish this later..


O.K.,
Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment