Thursday, February 2, 2012

Well, anyway

Made mom some toast earlier. It was weird. I've never done that before- made someone else something to eat. Usually Mom would just make me and Dad our meals (dinner, sometimes lunch if he was home, too). I can take care of making my own breakfast, but I guess that's a lot different than scrambling eggs for another living creature.

Actually, every day has felt pretty different since I started helping Mom out. Well, I don't really do anything that much more spectacular than a normal person would already do. However, toast making, milk buying, and bee-litter changing are all new to me. Mom says I'm doing pretty good, too. Especially changing our pet bumblebee's litter. Cynthia's shit smells gross.

Mom and Cynthia are smushed together right now on the couch watching a day time talk show called "The Chew". It sounds like a kind of annoying tv show.

I've decided to leave the door to my bedroom open the next couple of days in case Mom needs something. I bet that's helpful. Well, I hope so.

I've got a call coming in, hold on.

(I'm back) That was a guy from Idaho. I guess his dog peed on his laptop this morning. I'm not the right being to help him. I re-directed him to the Warranty-Replacement office, though. He said that I had a nice voice to listen to. My fur kind of tingled.

Finishing up my story about the trip to the store. Thank god I wasn't going any further than the other side of the green. I can't really imagine what I would have done, or if I could have made the trip if I'd had to actually go downtown. Plus, everyone keeps slipping on the footpath outside my window today. The weather is no good, and maybe someone would have fallen on me if I'd gone to the store downtown.

Anyway, I ran to one of the other big trees across the green that has the store most of us squirrels go for staple items like milk, or toilet paper. Place is run by a crow named Sal from New Hampshire. Smelly guy- nice enough, though.

I was panting and going through some body tremors when I walked through the front door. Sal asked if I wanted to sit down and rest a minute. I could hardly speak because of the foreignness of the environment (I'd only ever been there years before, and nearly passed out. Mom was with me and stuffed me under her coat because I was so much smaller). Not only was Sal dirtier looking than I remembered him, but the store was really bright, and I felt like everything and everyone in the store (a group of ants, a slug, and another squirrel) were watching me.

I ran to the refrigerator in there, grabbed the first white bottle I saw (thank god it was actually milk) and ran. Threw 2 bucks on the counter as I went out the door. I don't know if that's how much it was, but since the milk expires tomorrow, Sal better be cool with the 2 bucks. Should update his inventory more often, too.

Ran home without looking around much on the way. There were definitely humans around. Whatever. I made it, and wasn't even gone more than 15 minutes.

I almost can't get over how successful that trip was. Only barfed once, got the milk (practically without looking), didn't die, and made it back in time to water Aloe at 9:55. Pretty good.

I wonder if Dad would have been proud of me for doing that. Going outside. Running errands.

He would have done it with his eyes closed.

God damn. What if I have to go out again and buy cheese, or something? Mail a letter for Mom?

What if her back doesn't get any better, or she loses her job?


I have to think on this some more.


Kevin

No comments:

Post a Comment