Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Guess what I found today..

Collecting trash this morning with the boss, I came across a brown paper bag near the Grackle family's nest in one of the pillars of the UVM chapel. I saw it because Paul lit up a cigarette just as we got there.

I still suck at being around Paul's cigarette smoke, and I've been working for him almost two and a half months now. At least he's really nice about warning me when he's going to light one up-- and he's also pretty OK with my random barf bouts-- the smoke really triggers that stressful reaction in me.

Anyway, we were halfway through the morning trash run, arrived at the Grackle residence like usual, and Paul warned me he was going to have a smoke.

Bam. I could hardly utter an "OK" before the acorn pancakes I had for breakfast (mom's specialty-- Yep, she's cooking again. More on that later...) came up and splattered right in front of me. Paul just sighed and told me to take a walk-- "I'll take care of the Grack-Trash today," he said. At that, I went over to one of the grassy spots nearby to catch my breath and clean my face up.

That's when I saw the bag. Plain old brown looking bag-- nothing particularly speciali about it, except that it looked sort of damp, and like something was inside it.

I pattered over to the damp clod and tore it open with my front teeth. To my delight, a whole half of sandwich was in there!

Salami and cheese on a bulkie roll-- wow. The name on the snadwich wrapper said "SODEXO"-- whoever that is, they make a good looking meal.

Somehow my overactive nerves and unreasonable sense of general fear paid off for once; I got a sandwich out of it!

Split the half with Paul. Think it made his day, too. And maybe took his mind off of the acorn spew that came out of my mouth.

I'm also lucky, because mom has really been on a cooking kick lately. Tonight, we're having tuna-noodle casserole. My favorite fish-dish! (Fish aren't creatures, by the way. They're just fish...)

Eating well, and even feeling well.

Kevin


No comments:

Post a Comment